Tuesday 1 July 2008

Getting to know Sherri Sand

Debut author, Sherri Sand is gaining glowing reviews for her novel, Leave It To Chance, available now from David C Cook.

Sherri manages to squeeze her writing around her fabulous husband, four young children and her love for running and racquet ball!

I have enjoyed getting to know Sherri better through this interview and her encouraging and thought provoking posts at her blog, Creations in the Sand.

I hope you do too. Over to you, Sherri :)

Your first pet's name?

My first pet was a cat I picked out on a neighbor's farm when I was four and named Thomas. He was a dear friend for eighteen years. Our family now has an adorable Jack Russell named Milo.

If you were stranded on a desert island what one object would you want with you? (Besides your Bible of course)

Sunscreen

What's your favourite ice cream flavour?

Half-baked. But truly, anything with chocolate, caramel, brownie pieces and almonds.

When you were a child, what did you want to be when you grew up?

When I was ten I wanted to be an author, then in high school an Egyptologist until I realized I'd have to move to Eygpt, so decided I'd prefer to be an accountant. In college I studied to be a psychologist, but got married and moved to Germany instead of going to grad school. And here I am full circle, writing the books I dreamed of as a child.

If you could travel anywhere in the world, where would you go?

I think I was meant for a tropical locale. I could live in Hawaii without batting an eye, but would settle for Paris.

Besides God, who has influenced you the most?

My husband, Mat. He is the most amazing, wise man. I've grown so much with him and because of him. My children adore him. He's a great dad and husband.

What part of your daily routine do you enjoy most?

When I'm not crazy with kids or deadlines, sitting by the fire (okay, it's a gas fireplace), with a blanket, a book and chocolate in a quiet house.

What's your favourite movie?

How to Lose a Guy in Ten Days. My husband gives me measuring glances when we watch it and thinks I laugh a tad too long when the poor guy is getting dumped on.

Where's the most interesting place you have been?

Paris.

What's your most fervent prayer?

That my children will grow up strong, wise and discerning and love God with all their hearts, minds and souls and teach their children to do the same.

What's the bravest thing you've ever done?

Brave as in stupid brave? Like don't ever let your children do this? In high school I jumped thirty feet off a train trestle into the Willamette River.

My brother and I also used to walk along the cross beams beneath the roof of my grandpa's barn. My mom would have had heart failure if she'd seen us.

What is your favourite Bible verse (or "one" of your favourites) and what does it mean to you?

Eph. 3:16-19 - I pray that out of his glorious riches he may strengthen you with power through his Spirit in your inner being, so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith. And I pray that you, being rooted and established in love, may have power, together with all the saints, to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ, and to know this love that surpasses knowledge--that you may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God.

It means the world to know that God loves me that much and that I can be rooted in him.

What was your most embarrassing moment in High School?

My junior year I transferred from a rural school of about 150 students to one of 1200. At the time, I was beyond terrified of speaking in public. And I was required to give a speech in front of the whole class of these people I had no connection with. I came up with this fear-driven, not-so-brilliant plan of taking the speech up with me and actually reading it, while pretending I had it memorized. The teacher caught on and took my speech away and made me fumble through it again with the entire class staring at me in shock that I was caught cheating. It was horrible and I learned an enormous lesson about integrity at all costs.

What was the best advice you received on marriage before you were married?

Live on his income and put mine into savings. Early on, we had decided that I would be a stay-at-home-mom and as we had chosen to live solely on his income from the beginning, we didn't have to scale back. And the bonus was we used my income to pay off student loans and purchase a house.

Leave It To Chance

You are now a published author! What has been the highlight in it all?

I loved Sierra's story - her struggle with single parenting, her issues with her mother and fears about a possible relationship.

How did Sierra come to be?

She lived in my head for a while and gradually her story emerged.

How much of you is there in Sierra? Your husband in Ross?

I think I'm quite similar to Sierra in a lot of ways. I had some of the same struggles with one of my children as she did with Braden. I think Mat shares some of the qualities of Ross, but I don't see them that much alike.

Sid has a special relationship with Ross but eventually recognizes he may have contributed to Ross' estrangement from his father. What made you include this friendship?

Sid surprised me. I didn't realize he was going to play such a large role in the story. Ross needed Sid's friendship and guidance as did Sierra. Sid had a lot of wisdom to share.

Please tell us you have another book on the way! A sneak peek?

My agent came up with a stellar idea for a series. We are in the development stage of the project, but it's truly exciting to see where it's going.

Thanks Sherri ~ appreciate your time and I am looking forward to news of your future writing plans!

Relz Reviewz Extras

See my review at TitleTrakk.com soon

Visit Sherri's website and blog

Buy Leave It To Chance from Amazon or Koorong

3 comments:

Jenny said...

Great interview, gals - looking
forward to reading LITC.

Hope you and the fam are doing well, Rel - all good here. *hugs*

The Book Club Network - TBCN said...

Very Interesting interview. I have seen this book on the shelf and wondered about it and the author. Thanks for helping me now about both!!
Thanks Rel

Nora :)

Sherri said...

This was one of my favorite interviews! You are wonderful, Rel. Thanks for hosting me!

Sherri :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...