Tuesday 16 September 2008

Getting to know Denise Hunter


The lovely Denise Hunter has written my favourite romance this year, The Convenient Groom. The second of her Nantucket Love Stories, these allegorical tales are simply beautiful and should not be missed.

Nor should you miss this interview, to find out why she doesn't want to read her favourite novel again, how her husband proposed and what's up next in her writing schedule.

Thanks Denise :)

If you could have chosen your own name, what would it be?

Nora Roberts?

Your first pet's name?

Jodie. She was a mutt we found while traveling and she ran away from home a year or so after we “rescued” her.

Your best friend's name in primary (elementary) school?

Sandy

If you were stranded on a desert island what one object would you want with you? (Besides your Bible of course)

A boat!

What's your favourite ice cream flavour?

Mint chocolate chip. Throw in a little hot fudge and whip cream and I'm a happy woman.

When you were a child, what did you want to be when you grew up?

Mostly I wanted to be a mom. My doll babies were my children and I took wonderful care of them. My brother, however, did not. :-/

If you could travel anywhere in the world, where would you go?

Oooh, I love to travel, especially with my husband and boys. We travel a lot in the summer and have covered most of the western United States--always on the lookout for that next novel setting. J I love the beauty of nature, and I have to say New Zealand holds great appeal to me. It is, however, halfway across the globe, so I don't know if I'll ever get there.

Besides God, who has influenced you the most?

I'd have to say my dad.


What's your favourite book?

Redeeming Love by Francine Rivers is my favorite novel. I've read it four or five times, but the last time I read it, I decided it would be my last. It's too depressing to think I'll never be able to write a story that gripping and poignant. We'll see if I stick to my decision.

What part of your daily routine do you enjoy most?

I'd have to say late in the evening when we're winding down, the kids' homework is done, and I have a few minutes to relax with my husband.

What's your favourite movie?

You've Got Mail. LOVE that movie and it never gets old.

Where's the most interesting place you have been?

We saw a lot of interesting and beautiful places when we traveled out west, but I'd say none was more interesting than Crater Lake in southern Oregon. It's a beautiful blue lake that rests in a caldera, formed by a volcanic eruption and is the deepest lake in the U.S. We hiked way down to the lake and took a boat out on the water.

What's your most fervent prayer?

That we'll be able to raise our boys in such a way that they'll become Godly men and live happy, productive lives.

What's the bravest thing you've ever done?

Raise kids! Parenting is an act of courage. By the time you find out you're ill-equipped, it's too late. You've been suckered in by those sweet baby cheeks and nubby little toes.

What is your favourite Bible verse (or "one" of your favourites) and what does it mean to you?

Philippians 4:13. “I can do everything through him who gives me strength.” This is the verse that encourages me when the task in front of me seems too daunting. Namely, writing.

How did your husband propose to you?

He took me to a local park where we often went when we were dating and asked me there. Well, first he took me to a really nice restaurant. I didn't tell him until years later that I came across the engagement ring three days before he proposed. I was ecstatic, but I didn't want to ruin the surprise for him.

What was the best advice you received on marriage before you were married?

Uh, can't say it here, but it was really good. J

Ask your sons one thing they think is special about you and share it with us, please!

Does laughter count as an answer? Followed by lots of Um, uh, I have to leave now. I finally got out of them that I'm very responsible about getting them all the places they need to go. I think they're just sucking up so I'll continue to be their chauffeur.

The Convenient Groom

I love the premise of your Nantucket Love Stories ~ what inspired you to write about God's love for us without mentioning Him directly?

The fiction team at Thomas Nelson challenged me to come up with a scripture for the series. Once I found Zephaniah 3:17, I knew I wanted to write it as an allegory.

A Convenient Groom is beautifully romantic - I understand your husband believes it is his influence! What do you think?!

Um, uh, I think I have to leave now. No, seriously, he's pretty romantic when he wants to be. The key words there, when he wants to be. J

What came first - the plot or the characters?

For The Convenient Groom it was the characters. The plot just wove itself around who they are.


Any actors come to mind for the characters of Kate and Lucas?

I have to admit I was thinking of Selma Blair and James Tupper as I was writing the story.

What do you hope readers take away from this story?

I want readers to see how much God loves them. It's one thing to know it in your head, but I hope seeing the way Lucas loves Kate helps readers to know it in their heart.

How many more Nantucket novels are in the pipeline?

Two more, for a total of four.

What are you working on at the moment?

A sneak peek, please. I just finished Sweetwater Gap, a Women of Faith novel that's coming out in January 2009 and now I'm working on the third Nantucket novel tentatively titled Seaside Letters. It's about a novel-research assistant named Sabrina who's hired by Nantucket native Tucker McCabe to find the woman he's fallen in love with. Only trouble is, Sabrina is that woman and she doesn't want to be found.


Denise - it's been fun and a pleasure! Thanks for sharing some of yourself with us :)

Relz Reviewz Extras

Reviews of The Convenient Groom and Surrender Bay

Visit Denise's website and Girls Write Out blog

Buy Denise's books at Amazon and Koorong

5 comments:

Colleen Coble said...

Great interview! Denise writes with so much emotion. Love that about her books! Both books in the series are fabulous!

C.J. Darlington said...

Thanks for a great interview Rel & Denise. Always love hearing these!

Deena Peterson said...

Two of my favorite people together on one blog...and then two MORE of my favorite people commenting....THIS makes life Good! Thank You, God for friends like these:-) And Denise, love you...more than I love your books...which is A LOT!

Denise Hunter said...

Thanks everyone! And thanks, Rel, for posting the interview and for the great questions. I love the way you include so many photos. The one of Crater Lake makes me want to go back!

Nise' said...

What a great interview and Denise (of course anyone named thus must be wonderful) sounds like a hoot! Loved the Surrender Bay series and can't wait for the next one!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...