Thursday 22 March 2007

Interview with MaryLu Tyndall

Mary Lu Tyndall , author of the fabulously entertaining Legacy of the King's Pirates trilogy including The Redemption and, just released, The Reliance shares some great insights on writing, her books and faith....

Hi MaryLu ~ Thanks for spending some time at Relz Reviewz. My readers would love to hear your thoughts:~

On Writing...

Please share some of your writing/publishing journey with us.

My road to getting published is a bit of an interesting tale and certainly one unlike any I’ve heard of before. I would have to classify it as a miraculous intervention by Almighty God. You see, The Redemption, my first book, was the very first novel I completed and submitted to an agent, and it was snatched up by a publisher within a month of submission. I had written the story more for my own enjoyment than in the hopes of ever seeing it in print, but the Lord had other plans. Although I’d been trying my hand at writing all my life, I never in a million years thought I could get published. So, you can imagine my complete surprise and elation when I got the call from my agent that my manuscript had been accepted, and not only the one manuscript, but they wanted two more stories to complete the series. Around the same time, the company I worked for was downsizing and my job disappeared, leaving me the time I needed to write. God’s timing is always perfect.

Why Christian fiction?

I believe that stories are not just meant to entertain, but they can be used to teach, to guide, and to encourage. That’s what is so awesome about Christian Fiction. It is such a great way to get the message of God’s love to people who wouldn’t otherwise hear it or who wouldn’t otherwise understand it in the way they could by connecting with characters in a story.

You have made the Christian pirate genre your own! Will we see another genre emerge for you on the completion of the Legacy of the King's Pirates?

Wow, another genre? I have no idea. I just write the story God gives to me. I suppose my passion is to show God’s active and miraculous work in the everyday lives of those who truly seek Him. If that becomes a new miracle-working, seafaring-adventure genre, than so be it!

What gets you through those difficult writing days?

The knowledge that I’m really not the one in control of my writing, my book sales, or my life. God has a plan and He’s in control. I’m just along for the ride! When I lose sight of that, I get stressed, but when I refocus on Him, I feel at peace again.

What project or book are you working on now?

I’m working on a new series set in 1718 Charles Towne, South Carolina, called Charleston Belles. The series follows the lives of three daughters of an admiral in the British Royal Navy. Each book focuses on one daughter and takes the reader on a grand romantic adventure filled with ships, sea battles, merchantmen, slavery, kidnappings, and of course some pirates.


ON THE RELIANCE...

Did the plotline or characters come first?


Characters definitely. Some of the characters were pretty much defined from the first book, The Redemption, but many new ones were added as well. The plots in my books are more character driven. In fact, many times, my characters end of taking over the story and leading me places I had never thought of going.

Do we "see" some of you in your characters?

Absolutely. I think most authors incorporate some of themselves into each character. That way, the character comes off being more real. Out of all the characters in The Reliance, I would have to say there’s more of me in Captain Merrick than any of the others, which is odd, since he’s the male hero.

If you were casting actors for a movie of The Redemption and The Reliance , who would you choose?

Captain Merrick: Clive Owen
Lady Charlisse: Charlize Theron
Kent: Josh Holloway (Sawyer from LOST)
Isabel: Jennifer Garner

When writing a trilogy do you have all the books characters determined before you start or do the main characters for the sequels appear as you write the first book?

For me, in The Legacy of the King’s Pirates trilogy, the main characters in the sequels, particularly book three, appeared as I wrote the first two. Sounds odd, but I had no idea what the story for the third book would be until I was halfway through the second.

While your books are great adventures there is always a significant message to your story. Do you find it difficult to merge the two?

Not really. Before I even start writing a story, I determine what the theme or message is that I want to portray. Then the plot, subplots, characters, and corresponding scenes are all interwoven with that message in mind.

ON MATTERS PERSONAL...

I know you are a huge fan of Pirates of the Carribbean movies! Favourite character and why? Favourite line, please.

Captain Jack Sparrow, of course.

Commodore Norington: “You are without a doubt the worst pirate I have ever heard of.”
Jack Sparrow: “But you have heard of me.”

What are you reading at the moment?

Charles Towne by Angela Elwell Hunt

Where is your favourite place to read a book?

In bed. I really look forward to crawling under the covers at night when the day is done and reading a great book.

Who inspires you?

Jesus

Please share some of your faith journey.

My faith journey is a miraculous story of how God reached down and pulled me out of a very deep and slimy pit that I had dug for myself and settled rather uncomfortably into. I was 38, miserable, on my second marriage, dealing with rebellious teenagers, and working full time in a job I detested. Yet, by the world’s standards, I had grown up with everything: good looks, talent and brains. I didn’t get saved in a church, no Christian friend witnessed to me. At my wit’s end, I simply opened the word of God, and He spoke directly to me, and I’ve never been the same. Since then I cannot begin to tell you the miracles He’s preformed in my life and my family’s lives.

Any last words......

Soli Deo Gloria - which means For God’s Glory alone!

Thanks MaryLu for your insight :) It has been delightful having you on board....

Check out MaryLu's fun website here !

Remember there is still a little time to enter the draw for a copy of The Reliance ~ Click here and post.

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...