Friday 30 March 2012

Character Spotlight ~ Susan May Warren's Lilly


Susan May Warren has just released her second Daughters of Fortune novel, Baroness, available now from Summerside Press.

Synopsis

 Lilly and Rosie, daughters of an empire coming of age in the roaring twenties, can have anything they want except freedom. Expected to marry well and to take the reins of the empire, they have their lives planned out for them. But Lilly, Esme's daughter longs to return home to Montana, to adventure outside the confines of New York City. And Jinx's daughter Rosie dreams of the bright lights of the newly emerging silver screen. But following their dreams - from avant garde France, to Broadway, to the skies in the world of barnstormers and wing-walkers will take all their courage. And if they find love, will they choose freedom or happily ever after?

Enjoy meeting Lilly!


Brief physical description

Petite, brown hair, a hint of trouble in her brown eyes. Lilly grew up out west and is more cowgirl than society girl. She is down to earth, strong, brave and more than her physical appearance suggests.

Actor/famous person

British actress Carey Mulligan

Strengths and weaknesses

In Lily’s own words:

“I’m 20 years old, former cowgirl who is now trapped in the big city. When my mother said we should go and visit my grandparents in NYC, I never guessed that we’d end up living here. I have tried to fit in – letting my mother, my aunt Jinx and my cousin Rosie dress me and introduce me to society life, but mostly I just feel out of place. My favorite place is Central Park, but not long ago, I was riding Charity, my horse through the park and met a number of Rosie’s friends who made fun of me - riding two legs over the horse like I was. I just don’t fit in. And I don’t want to – I am not made for New York, and I don’t like it. I especially don’t like my mother’s new husband, Oliver. He’s a little bossy and is always hovering – as if I might break or run away. Mother’s been awfully ill these past few months – we’re going to Paris for a vacation now that she is better. I hate Paris even more. I just want to fit in, and I’ll do anything to get back to where I’m from. Even if it means I’m a little impetuous.”

Quirk (if any)

I jump too quickly into adventure and...trouble. But I’m brave and willing to hold onto my dreams even if I might get hurt.

Your inspiration for the character

Amelia Earhart, and all the young barnstormers of the 1920s.

Background to the story

I wanted to write a story about two women, Lilly and Rosie, daughters of wealthy families who were coming of age in the roaring twenties. These ladies could have anything they want…except freedom. Expected to marry well and to take the reins of the empire, they have their lives planned out for them. But, Lilly, Esme’s daughter longs to return home to Montana, to adventure outside the confines of New York City. And Jinx’s daughter Rosie dreams of the bright lights of the newly emerging silver screen. I wanted to build characters representative of the times – both the flappers, but also the adventurers of the era, like Amelia Earhart, and other flyers. So, while Rosie embodies the showgirl, early Hollywood starlet, Lilly embodies the adventure driven pilots and wing walkers. They both follow their dreams – from avant garde France, to Broadway, to the skies in the world of barnstormers and wing-walkers. And if when they find love, they have to choose freedom or happily ever after. Throughout the book I ask the question – what does it really mean to be free? 

Relz Reviewz Extras
Character spotlight on Jinx Worth
Reviews of Heiress, Nightingale & Sons of Thunder

Visit Susie's website and blog

Buy Susie's books at Amazon or Koorong


3 comments:

Unknown said...

I cannot WAIT to read this book! Heiress was one of the best books I read last year, if not ever!

Laura Frantz said...

I'm with Christy! Heiress was one of my top reads last year, too - this one looks wonderful, too. Thanks, Rel! And have a great weekend:)

Charity U said...

I want to read this. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...