Tuesday 16 March 2010

The Silent Gift by Michael Landon Jr & Cindy Kelley ~ Tracy's Take

Publisher’s Synopsis:

The decade of the 'thirties was a time of enormous uncertainty--for the world, for America, and in particular for one lonely, struggling mother and her disabled son. Their story is one of unyielding love and incredible sacrifices in the face of circumstances beyond belief.

But then The Gift appears…where has it come from, and why? How can a young boy who cannot communicate provide comfort and direction to seekers who learn of the special ability? Whatever the source, its presence brings a single shaft of light and hope to Mary and her beloved son, Jack... Will it be enough?

What I thought:

Michael Landon Jr transfers his story-telling instinct from screen to the written word with ‘The Silent Gift’. Written with Cindy Kelley, this pair’s successful partnership is obvious with this newest combined story-telling venture, set in 1930’s America. Mary and Jack’s story is full of unexpected surprises and twists in the plot that will keep the reader turning the pages to see what happens next.

‘The Silent Gift’ tells the story of Mary and her son Jack, a deaf mute who appears to have the special gift of prophecy. Landon and Kelley draw a stark contrast between a mother’s unconditional love and those who only see the apparent unusualness of those with disabilities or indeed the immense challenges of parenting a child who requires special care. Mary’s protectiveness and concern for Jack is inspiring and heart-warming. Her desire to provide him the best of her love and care wars within as she seeks to find a way to share his gift with others. Her conflict is heightened as people who profess to care about Mary and Jack get involved and sway Mary with their well-constructed arguments.

Mary’s example of sacrifice illuminated a new perspective for me. Mary showed me not so much what she gave up, but that her love for her son made it impossible to be selfish with her love and care of him. I was given a glimpse deep inside the heart of a mother who sees beyond her child’s disability and I was inspired to see those with disabilities from a new perspective. Mary’s courage and perseverance will inspire the reader to keep going when things seem impossible and to review the way the approach the world around them.

With thanks to Bethany for Tracy's review copy

Guest reviewer:~ My friend Tracy from Beyond My Picket Fence

Relz Reviewz Extras

Buy the book at Amazon or Koorong


3 comments:

Megan said...

This is in my TBR pile, and I am so excited to read it. I have a heart for children with disabilities, so I know I will get emotionally engaged!! Thanks for the review.

Megan
Inspired by Fiction

Scrappy quilter said...

I really enjoyed this book.

Jenny said...

Your statement "Mary showed me not so much what she gave up, but that her love for her son made it impossible to be selfish with her love and care of him." is thought provoking, and definitely worth aspiring to.

I hadn't really checked into this book until I saw your review. I have an uncle who is a deaf mute, and your review makes me want to definitely check this one out. Thanks Tracy. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...