Thursday 4 December 2008

Character Spotlight ~ Christa Parrish's Sarah Graham

Today the spotlight shines on.................................................................Sarah Graham
Christa Parish's debut novel is fabulous and would make a great Christmas gift for a reader who enjoys something a little different, with characters whose lives are messy and difficult. Enjoy Christa's insight into Sarah Graham.....


Brief physical description

Sarah Graham is on the thin side, but not skinny. She has dark eyes and pale skin, freckles, and red hair - the color of dried apricots.


Actor/famous person who might resemble her


I don't know! Ahh. I know many authors
have a "picture" of their characters in their head, but I usually don't. I have one or two traits that are strong to me, and the rest I leave to the reader's imagination. I think it's because, in real life, I can't remember faces very well at all.

Rel: My picks are Erin Mackey or Amy Adams - what do you think?

Strengths and weaknesses

Well, Sarah is a survivor. She's been though quite a bit of hardship in her life, but she's still fighting. Unfortunately, she's fighting through ways that can only lead to unhappiness - drinking, spending, men. She also d
oesn't let people get close to her. Still, she appreciates beauty, especially music. She's a Juilliard-trained violinist and as much as she tries to dismiss her talent, the violin always calls her back to it. It's in her blood, so to speak - more than she knows!


Quirk (if any)

She likes peanut butter and potato chip sandwiches, drinks Diet Coke for breakfast, and is always late.


Your inspiration for the character

No one in particular. She just came alive in my head.


Background to the story


Sarah Graham was raised by her emotionally-distant grandmother after her mother's death and her father's incarceration. She grew up desperately wanting to please her gran
dmother, but nothing she did was ever good enough. Finally, she stopped trying to be good. As a teenager, she turned to promiscuity, more to embarrass her grandmother than anything else. But, she also played the violin, and music became her true escape. She was accepted to Juilliard, but tragedy struck once again, and Sarah gave up music. She gave up caring about anything, and did anything to numb her pain. At the peek of her self-destructive behavior, she gets news her estranged father is dead. When she travels to the tiny mountain hamlet of Jonah, NY, she finds that her past - and her future - is not exactly what she expected.

Thanks so much, Christa :) It's always a pleasure hearing from you!

Please comment and let Christa and I know what you thought about Sarah Graham.

On Monday I will be spotlighting Amy Wallace's Clint and Sarah Rollins from Healing Promises ~ it's a beauty so don't miss it!

Relz Reviewz Extras

Review of Home Another Way

Interview
with Christa

Visit Christa's website and blog

Buy Christa's book at Amazon or Koorong

4 comments:

Deena Peterson said...

Personally, I don't see drinking Diet Coke for breakfast as a 'quirk'...rather, an admirable trait:-) LOL!!

Loved this feature, love you both, and love Erin Mackey:-)

Geraldo Maia said...

Rel,
How good it is reading!
From Brazil a friendly hello with my best wishes:
Geraldo

Kim said...

Rel -
Home Another Way really appealed to me! What a lesson in grace! I'm so thankful that the Lord is longsuffering with His children!

Kim

Tracy said...

Her quirks had me cringing LOL. I can't drink diet coke as it makes me very sick....and peanut butter/potato chip sandwiches? Hmmmm....lose the peanut butter and I'm with her.

She does sound very quirky.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...