Thursday 17 September 2009

Coming in April 2010 from Alison Strobel & Zondervan

I am really keen to read this book by Alison Strobel that tackles an often hidden yet devastating issue. It won't be an easy read but I am sure it will be worth it. And the title is fabulous - so full of meaning.

What do you think? Do you prefer your fiction to be light and entertaining or does something with grit and discomfort appeal?

Personally, I enjoy both depending on my mood and what I am experiencing in my life. I love being challenged by a complex or thought provoking story and yet, if life is tough, there is nothing better than reading a story that is funny or romantic or sweet! I think that makes me pretty easy to please!

How about you?

The Weight of Shadows by Alison Strobel

After a difficult childhood, Kim has built a successful life for herself, but she'd leave it all if it meant being rid of the guilt she harbors over a tragic mistake she made years ago. When she meets Rick, she finds everything she needs—including a way to pay for her sins every time he hits her.

Kim and Rick’s new neighbor, Joshua, knows more than Kim realizes about Rick’s abusive behavior, but Joshua has battles of his own to fight. Soon to intersect Kim’s and Rick’s lives is Debbie, who has saved countless women from abuse through the shelter she runs but might be as desperate for love as the women she serves. Meanwhile, as Rick’s wrath extends to their baby, Kim must decide if her penance is more important than protecting that innocent life—and if she should dare leave Rick when he has the power to bring her hidden crime to light.

A gripping, gritty novel, The Weight of Shadows explores how the risks we take for those we love can touch the lives of others forever.

Releasing April, 2010 from Zondervan

7 comments:

Deborah said...

i like both (depends on my mood) but i prefer the gritty. i've also noticed that when recommending a Christian fiction book to a person who doesn't read Christian fiction, the grittier the book, the more they end up liking it.

Illuminating Fiction said...

Likewise, I like both, depending on my mood.

Jen said...

I agree that it depends on my mood mostly

Mark said...

I like both, but I really like to see an author tacking an issue as Karen Kingsbury has so often done

Rel said...

Thanks for sharing, everyone :)

Issues are important, aren't they Mark? I am always on the lookout for books with issues for my book club. They make for great discussions.

Amy said...

I like both but the books that really impact me are generally the ones that deal with real life.

The title and the cover are gorgeous for this book, but I can't help feel that the synopsis could be tightened. It gets kind of confusing to read. Or maybe my brain is just fried! LOL

Jenny said...

I like both intense and light-hearted reads - just depends on my mood.

I remember the first book I read about domestic violence (Sadie's Song by Linda Hall), and I can imagine this one may be just as heart-wrenching. I'm definitely looking forward to it, though.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...