Monday 21 September 2009

Guardian of the Flame by T L Higley

Synopsis:~

The year is 48 BC. Sophia, a woman hurt by past loss, guards the famous lighthouse of Alexandria, Egypt, in order to hide herself away from a world she deems cruel and unloving. But there is no escape.

Political turmoil swells as Roman general Julius Caesar and his legion storm the city, and Cleopatra, Greek queen of Egypt , fights to retain her country against both Caesar and bloodthirsty rivals within her own household.

Sophia is caught in the middle between a loyalty to Cleopatra and her maddening interest in Bellus, the Roman soldier whom Caesar has instructed to overtake the lighthouse.


My take:~

T L Higley's third instalment in her Seven Wonders series, Guardian of the Flame has left me in the same state as Shadow of Colossus and City of the Dead ~ bleary eyed from reading way into the night and deeply satisfied from a fascinating journey to another place and time. Combining exceptional writing, accurate and interesting historical detail with unique characters, intriguing romance and dangerous adventure, Tracy Higley is truly a gifted storyteller you must not miss. Be assured there are no run of the mill characters in Tracy's books or poor plotting. Sophia, Bellus and even Cleopatra's uncommon personalities hold great appeal and the antiquity of the story is both eye opening and riveting. Guardian of the Flame is a tribute to Tracy's abilities as an historian and author, and to the amazing Wonders of the Ancient World.

Relz Reviewz Extras

Reviews of Shadow of Colossus and City of the Dead

Character spotlights on Tessa (Colossus) and Hemiumu (City)

Interview with Tracy

Visit Tracy's website

Buy Tracy's books at Amazon or Koorong



Giveaway

I have another fabulous giveaway thanks to the good people at B&H Fiction. I have two copies of Guardian of the Flame to give away to my North American readers and two copies for my Aussie readers. To enter:~

1. Post a comment before midnight on Sunday 27th September telling me which ancient city you would like to visit

2. Leave contact details and a USA or AUS at the end of your post so I know which draw to put you in.

11 comments:

Mark said...

the book sounds great - I'd like to visit Rome, and am from the USA
marcus802001(at)yahoo(dot)com

Mary S said...

This series looks like it's good....would love to be entered :)

Mary ~USA
mkshriver(at)gmail(.)com

Carmen said...

Sounds like an interesting series. Please enter me. USA
desertrose5173 at gmail dot com

Jennifer Bogart said...

Don't enter me :). I just wanted to say I started this one yesterday, and it's a great read so far.

apple blossom said...

Sounds like a wonderful series. I love books that have historical themes.

I'd love to visit Rome.

ABreading4fun [at] gmail [dot] com

apple blossom said...

Sounds like a wonderful series. I love books that have historical themes.

I'd love to visit Rome.

ABreading4fun [at] gmail [dot] com

Oh, I forgot to post I'm in USA sorry
ARgh!

Tracy said...

I love Tracy's writing, so I'm sure this one will be equally wonderful. She makes me want to visit each city she writes about!

I'm going to pick Rhodes.

AUS

Jen said...

I'd love to go to Prague but is that ancient enough or just very old? Venice too? Thanks again Rel.

AUS

jaana said...

I'd love to go to Jerusalem. Please enter me in.

AUS

Fi said...

Hey Rel, for the sake of answering the question I will say Rome, but I would love to visit any of the ancient cities.

AUS

Leola said...

I'd love to visit Venice. Is that old enough? Otherwise Athens, or better yet, Babylon in its past glory to see the hanging gardens.... wishful thinking I know. Thanks for another great reviw Rel. Please enter me in the draw! (Aus)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...