Thursday 4 September 2008

The Courtship by Gilbert Morris ~ Tracy's Take

What is it about?

The Freeman children are no stranger to tragedy and hardship. Their mother has passed away and their father has been wrongfully imprisoned, for a crime that he didn’t commit. Each in their own way, the children work together and seek to make the best of things in post-depression, small-town circumstances. Eighteen year old Lanie has three suitors vying for her attention and hand in marriage, but she steadfastly remains loyal to her family and determines that her father must be released before she could consider her own future. Maeva sets out to find the one witness who can prove her father’s innocence. Davis and Cody each have activities that support the family financially and young Corliss is simply a pleasure to each of her siblings.

What I thought:

Gilbert Morris brings to life this charming family of characters. I was entertained by Cody’s exploits and amused by Corliss’s attachment to the story of ‘The Wizard of Oz’. Lanie and Davis are examples of strength and determination as they ably take adult responsibilities upon their young shoulders. I was really impressed with the way Lanie cared for her family members and the wisdom that she has acquired at such a young. I also loved the way the townsfolk were so involved in the children’s day to day life, ensuring that they were doing well and helping out wherever they were able to. ‘The Courtship’ is an easy read, full of humour. It is a story that will remind the reader that where there is perseverance there are rewards and that when we work together with one another, we are able to overcome.

Guest reviewer: Tracy from Beyond My Picket Fence

3 comments:

Unknown said...

oh sounds good. Gilbert Morris is my favourite author.

CherryBlossomMJ said...

I haven't read any of his work yet, but I keep seeing him all over, so that will have to change. I just love this cover for the book, it tells so much!

Anonymous said...

Hey,
I'm just dieing to know, can you please tell me who Lanie Freeman marries in the end?? Thanks so much!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...