Tuesday 23 September 2008

Getting to know Erynn Mangum

The delightful Erynn Mangum found time between writing novels, planning her wedding and going on her honeymoon with her best friend, Jon (he is her husband too - wouldn't want there to be any confusion!) to share some of herself here at Relz Reviewz.

Erynn concludes her fabulous Lauren Holbrook series with Matchpoint, now available from NavPress and is hard at work on a new series.

For more details on her new series, Jon's marriage proposal and her cannabalistic guppy, read on!

Over to you, Erynn:~

If you could have chosen your own name , what would it be?

Oh gosh. “Could you please call me Cordelia?” J No, I’m not sure! I’ve never thought about it before. Maybe a name that doesn’t rhyme with thirteen other names.

Your first pets name?

Mickey – she actually was my parent’s dog before they had me. So I don’t know that she was my first pet. I think my first pet was a fish and I don’t remember her name. All I remember is she was a guppy and she had babies on like a weekly basis, but then she’d eat them. She was not a good fish mom.

Your best friends name in primary (elementary) school?

Whitney…now I don’t remember her last name…we were very close, can’t you tell? J

Did you have a special toy that went everywhere with you when you were young? Please describe.

Yes, it was a stuffed Dalmatian from the movie, 101 Dalmatians.

If you could meet a famous person, who would it be?

I want to meet Julie Andrews. She seems like the neatest lady in Hollywood.

If you were stranded on a desert island what one object would you want with you? (Besides your Bible of course)

Okay, it’s a toss-up between two things: A pillow or shrimp cocktail sauce. First because I don’t want to sleep on a rock, and second because I like shrimp with cocktail sauce.

What's your favourite ice cream flavour?

Chocolate. Or vanilla with chocolate. Or cookies and cream. It depends on the day.

When you were a child, what did you want to be when you grew up?

A police helicopter pilot. Thank God He knew what He was doing by making me a writer…

If you could travel anywhere in the world, where would you go?

Antarctica to see the penguins. Or, England and see where Pride and Prejudice took place.

Besides God, who has influenced you the most?

My mom. She’s been with me through everything in my life – good and bad, and either celebrated or cried with me during it.

What's your favourite book?

Um… That changes on a weekly basis.

What part of your daily routine do you enjoy most?

Greeting Jon when he gets home from work.

What's your favourite movie?

The Princess Bride. Close second is Pride and Prejudice. And then While You Were Sleeping and Enchanted. J

Where's the most interesting place you have been?

Probably New York City. It’s so different than anything I’ve ever seen before!

What's your most fervent prayer?

God, make me holy.

What's the bravest thing you've ever done?

I’m not an especially brave person, but I’ve spoken in public a few times and since I’m usually scared out of my mind up until I get in front of people, I’d probably call that the bravest thing.

What gift have you received that you will always treasure?

My wedding rings.

What is your favourite Bible verse (or "one" of your favourites) and what does it mean to you?

Psalm 121 is my all-time favorite chapter – for someone who worries, this is the most comforting chapter out there. God is always, always watching over us.

What was your most embarrassing moment in High School?

My whole life is pretty much an embarrassing moment with a few normal moments thrown in. My problem is I talk before I think. And I didn’t inherit any of my grandmother’s natural grace.

You recently married - congrats! How did your husband propose to you?

Oh yay! Romantical stuff! Well, he planned a picnic for right at the very end of picnic weather (meaning it was cold). We drove up into the mountains around our house and hiked over to a river. We’d been there on a picnic before, so I wasn’t expecting anything. We had our lunch and then we were just talking, watching the river, relaxing. He stood up to stretch and pulled me up too. That’s when he proposed. All I said was “oh my gosh!” over and over and over. It was perfect! I’d always been afraid that whoever I married would propose in front of a bunch of people – Jon did a great job. Just us, gorgeous scenery…

It is unusual for someone of your age to have three books published. How did it come about?

I’ve always loved writing, but it wasn’t until I got involved with the Christian Writers Guild that I got serious about it. It’s through them and their conferences that I got the contacts to get published.

Matchpoint

How did you create the indomitable Lauren Holbrook?

You know, I’m not sure. I thought it would be funny to write about a perpetual matchmaker who never wanted to get married, sat down and started writing.

How much of you is there in Laurie?

Um. None whatsoever! Okay, I lied. A lot. The only part that is one hundred percent hers and hers alone is how she says exactly what’s on her mind all the time. I wish I was more like that.

When you wrote Miss Match, was Laurie’s romantic future sealed or was there an alternative plan?

Actually, when I very first started writing, I thought she was going to end up with Brandon. Then Ryan popped up on the scene…funny how boys do that.

What was your favourite scene to write?

I love the scene where Ryan wakes her up by throwing rocks at her window and takes her to breakfast. He was cute in that scene. Or, maybe the staged walk/fireplace thing that Joan and Hannah set up. That was fun!

What do you hope readers take away from this story?

Three things: 1) God is not just a God of comfort and peace, but also a God who created our senses of humor. I have this theory that just like we glorify God with praise and prayer, we can also glorify Him by laughing and enjoying what He’s given us. 2) Love is not necessarily like it is on TV – it’s so much better because in life, it’s goofy and sappy and fun! Besides, who really wants a humorless Romeo to spend the rest of their life with? 3) Wait, I guess I only had two takeaways… J

What is in your writing pipeline? A sneak peek?

You’ll have to watch my blog for a sneak peek of Cool Beans, my work-in-progress. J I’ve been working on a bunch of different ideas, so we’ll just see!

Thank you so much, Rel! You are amazing!

Backatcha, Erynn :)

As seen at Titletrakk.com


Relz Reviewz Extras

My reviews of Missmatch, Rematch and Matchpoint

Visit Erynn's website and blog

Buy Erynn's books at Amazon and Koorong


3 comments:

Tracy said...

Thank you for a great interview. I can't wait to read 'Match Point'. Erynn, you had me giggling my way through your first two books....even at 3am when I was trying to cure some insomnia. Didn't work, but gee I had fun LOL.

Pattie said...

Great interview!

Jenny said...

Loved the interview as well as the Lauren Holbrook series. Can't wait to read about Maya!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...